- Don’t take it personally. Your student may be having a hard day or may even be feeling physical pain or discomfort.
- Model realistic and self-positive talk: show it’s okay to make mistakes and careful to not be self-critical of yourself.
- Stress these are hard skills and it’s okay that it takes time, it took yourself time too.
- Find out what does get your student excited (Pokemon? Justin Beiber?) and incorporate those elements into your lesson
- Don’t force it. Don’t be afraid to switch to plan B or just wrap up early.