PLAN YOUR LESSONS
At CoachArt, we see the first lesson of any match as the perfect opportunity to build a stable foundation for the next 8 weeks with your student. Whether it’s getting to know their interests and personality, or gauging their skill level in a certain activity, the more information you can collect in the first lesson, the better your match will be. Here are some resources to help you out with your preparation!
During the COVID-19 pandemic, CoachArt recommends that all lessons take place virtually. See our Virtual Lesson Guide for tips.
Planning your lessons
Whether you’ll be making cupcakes, painting kitties, shooting hoops, scoring goals or planting tomatoes… here are some helpful things to consider when mapping out your CoachArt curriculum for your student(s).
- Week 1: Intro
- Introductions, icebreakers, skill assessments, physical assessments
- Weeks 2-7: Programming
- Week to week lesson planning. See our activity inspiration page for lesson ideas.
- Week 8: Wrap Up and Celebration
- Give certificates, have a showcase, finale, etc. See our celebrations page for fun ideas and certificate templates.
We recommend using our activity planning template to plan out your lessons.
What’s my budget?
Please see below to identify your budget for all 8 weeks of lessons.
|Category||1 Student||2 Students||3 Students||4 Students|
- Culinary Arts – First check to see what the family already has on hand. Typically most families already have the basics like oil, salt and pepper, and flour. If you or your family prefers not to come out of pocket and get reimbursed for the other groceries needed, we can provide an Instacart gift certificate for groceries.
- Music – The amount listed above is for sheet music etc. Please let your Program Manager know if your student needs an instrument and we will order it for them.
CoachArt will cover the cost of the supplies for you and your student. There are two options for ordering materials:
REIMBURSEMENT: You can purchase the materials and have them shipped to your student’s home (or bring them if you are meeting in-person) and CoachArt will reimburse you.
Reimbursement Option 1
If you have a gmail account, you can upload your receipts and submit for reimbursement using this nifty form.
Reimbursement Option 2:
Please save a copy of this document, fill it out, attach your receipts and your copy of the reimbursement form to an email addressed to email@example.com. Make sure to include your email address and mailing address on the form.
We’ll process your reimbursement using bill.com and send an email invitation to sign up for e-payment so you can get a direct deposit. You can also choose to receive a check instead, which would go to your mailing address, but note, it does take up to one week longer than e-payment
WE CAN ORDER THE MATERIALS FOR YOU: If you are unable to come out of pocket to purchase the materials, please contact your Program Manager with links (preferably using amazon.com) of what you want and we will order them for you!
Skill Assessment Activities
In order to prepare for your lessons, you’ll need to see what they already know. Here are some fun and basic activities you can do with your student during your first to lesson to assess their skill level!
CoachArt Pro Tip: If you don’t see any specific activities that can help you in your planning, just start by asking the student a few easy, open-ended questions:
- Have they ever done the activity before?
- What about the subject are they most interested in learning?
- Do they have a favorite? Painting, player, color, etc…
Be sure to check out our CoachArt Pinterest page for more ideas.
If you’re a little nervous for your first lesson, there’s a good chance your student may be nervous too. Here are a few ideas on how to “break the ice” and create a comfortable environment for both you and the student to thrive in!
CoachArt Pro Tip: To take your icebreakers to the next level, modify the theme of the game to include the subject that you’ll be teaching. This will help you collect invaluable information that you can use for future lessons.