Tips for Communicating with a Non-English-Speaking Family
- Learn how to say hello in their native language. They will appreciate the effort!
- If you identify that the parent/guardian speaks very little or no English, ask the child if he/she or anybody else in the home is comfortable translating.
- Use Google Translate for translating your email or text correspondence.
- Smile — it’s universal!
- If there is a problem with using the child as a translator for (such as a behavioral issue), email your Program Manager and we can call the family in their native language to discuss.
- Say thank you and goodbye in the parent/guardian’s native language.