Dealing with Distraction: Working With Kids Impacted by Chronic Illness
CoachArt volunteers work with kids impacted by chronic illness, teaching them the art or athletic skill they want to learn. In-Home Lessons offer volunteer coaches the opportunity to become part of another family for one hour a week. Sometimes, distractions can occur and it’s important to know how to deal with them effectively to make the best use of time with your student.
Here are 3 situations that may present a distraction for kids with chronic illness, and tips to help navigate home and family dynamics.
Situation 1: Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen
- If your workspace is inundated with family members or friends, speak with the parent/guardian about finding an alternative space or time.
- Find your inner zen. Try starting the lesson with deep breathing and set the intention to stay focused no matter what’s happening around you.
- Reach out to us; we’ll be happy to help problem-solve.
Situation 2: Helicopter Parents
- Remind parents/guardians that they can use this time to take a break and that you’ve got it covered.
- If a parent is being overbearing and you’re uncomfortable approaching them about your concerns, let us know — we’ll be happy to help you with that conversation!
Situation 3: Sibling Rivalry
- Ask your student if it’s okay for others to join.
- If so, divide tasks accordingly but make sure to keep the focus on your student.
- If not, gently explain to the others that this lesson is for your student and you will try and work something out next time.
- Pull in a parent or guardian if arguing escalates.
- Let parents know that siblings are able to take lessons with the student if they too are signed up with CoachArt.
- Contact CoachArt if needed.
Dealing with distractions can be difficult for kids with chronic illness. During CoachArt lessons, overcoming these situations will make for a better experience for both the student and the coach. What are your favorite tools to deal with distractions? Let us know in the comments!
Not a Volunteer Yet? Do you have an artistic or athletic hobby? Will you teach it to a kid impacted by chronic illness? CoachArt can match you with an inspiring, extraordinary young person!
CoachArt students want to learn about:
Sports: Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball, and more…
Arts: Cooking, Guitar, Painting, Piano, Singing, and more…
Make a Difference for Kids Impacted by Chronic Illness!
Become a CoachArt Volunteer. Get Started Here!
Have Questions? Get in Touch!
Give the Gift of CoachArt. Donate Today!